Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Bird’s-Eye View: Rough Draft to Final Draft

From: http://ift.tt/1iTCqfh



http://ift.tt/1kpF8Pc
Rough Draft - Fate's Haven

Fate’s Haven



This is similar to my previous post in that the image shows the progression from one draft to another. I was able to use some of Word’s comparison and tracking features to recreate every change made during the course of my first book, Fate’s Haven. The difference here is this is every change from first draft to final draft. For an enlarged version of the image, click here.


To recap the history behind the idea…



A user on kboards.com and I were discussing rough drafts and I made the comment that I once zoomed out my first manuscript to get a look at how much red covered it after tracking changes using Word before accepting the changes for the next draft.


The conversation basically began because a lot of people don’t know just how much effort goes into writing something the length of a novel.


So in case anyone ever wondered what one looked like or how much markup was actually on a draft, this is one of mine. I may see if I can get Word to compare two versions from Fate’s Haven and track those changes automatically. I’d love to share that image. Being my first book, it was a learning experience and as such was littered (I mean seriously littered) with red where corrections were made.



As you can see from the image, it was given a serious face lift before hitting the publish button.




Filed under: Fate's Haven, Writing Tagged: Amazon; Creative Writing; Ebook;, Editing; Kindle; Kobo, Nook; Self-Publishing;, Writing; Fate's Haven

No comments:

Post a Comment